Makeup for Beginners According to Bobbi Brown




I've been reading Bobbi Brown's Beauty Rules and it occurred to me that most the posts I write are geared to those already experienced with makeup. With the help of Bobbi Brown, I though I'd put together a Makeup Starter Kit for those just beginning with makeup. For the record I have no affiliation with Bobbi Brown and all credit for the list of essentials goes to her. You can get her book here. It's good, I recommend it!

Below, Bobbi Brown lists a few essentials that every makeup kit should have. I haven't included everything on her list in this post. Just the fun stuff.
Makeup Remover- Neutrogena All-in-One Makeup removing Cleansing Wipes $8. These are my favourite makeup removing wipes. For beginners I think it's okay to use wipes but once you get into the habit of wearing makeup everyday, I would strongly suggest moving away from wipes as they tend not to remove makeup as well as other products. I suggest Bioderma for a more expensive option.
Tinted Moisturizer with SPF- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB (SPF 30) $11. This has very light coverage so I think it's perfect for those who don't feel they need a full coverage foundation but want to even out their skin tone.
Cover-up Stick for covering up Pimples- Rimmel Hide the Blemish Concealer $7. While I am not a big fan of cover up sticks for blemishes (I find them drying), Bobbi Brown suggests that they are an essential.
Tweezers- Any tweezers will do here. I don't even know what brand I have. Tweezers can be used for many things such as plucking your eyebrows or apply false lashes.
Mascara- Maybelline's The Rocket Volum' Express $9. You have two main choices when it comes to a mascara. There are volumizing mascara's and lengthening one's. Occasionally you'll find the perfect mascara that does both. I think of everything on this list, mascara is the most important.
Eyeshadow in neutral colours- Covergirl's Shimmering Sands $7. It's the perfect collection of everyday shadows. The shadow quality isn't the best which makes it perfect for beginners because it's very forgiving if you make a mistake.
Eyeliner- Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal $8. I think pencil liners are the easiest for beginners to work with. Brown would also be my choice for beginners because it's a lot softer than black and it works on all eye colours.
Blush in Soft, Natural Tone- NYX Blush $5. NYX has the best quality blush in the drugstore with the widest range of shades. You can get a matte shade which looks the most natural or a blush with shimmer which can give you a healthy looking glow.
Lip Gloss- NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss $5. This is a perfect comfortable, non-stick lipgloss. It adds the perfect amount of colour to the lips. As a plus, there are a wide range of shades available.
Lip Balm- Any lip balm will do. This is a necessity even if you don't wear makeup.
Nail Polish- Pure Ice nail polish $2. This is my favourite brand of cheap nail polish as it's opaque and long lasting.
For a total of $62 beginners can have a complete Makeup Bag with all the essentials according to Bobbi Brown. I hope this post was of some help.

Source: Brown, Bobbi. (2010). Beauty Rules: Fabulous Looks, Beauty Essentials, and Life Lessons for Loving your Teens and Twenties. San Francisco: Chronicle Books. pp. 93-92.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment